Va Natural: Going Natural Part II: Making the Goods



Part II: Making the Goods

Well, I did it!  My mom and I made our very own, natural cleaning supplies.  I had originally planned on making only three products, but I got a little carried away... I ended up making a powder and liquid laundry detergent, an all-purpose cleaner, an air freshener, a grease cutter, a bathroom cleaner, tile scrub and dishwashing detergent. 


Currently, I have tried the powder laundry detergent and it works great!  I have also done one load of dishes using the dishwashing detergent, and it worked just as good as the store bought dishwashing detergent. :)  Exciting times indeed!


Now, for the fun part...pictures! :)


We decided to make both the powder and liquid laundry detergent to see which one works best... also, my mom has an HE washing machine and she has to be careful as to what kind soap of soap she uses in hers.  So for the powder laundry soap,we mixed 3 cups Borax, 2 cups baking soda, 2 cups washing soda, and 2 cups Fels-Naptha bar (this was a little more than 1 bar).

Here's what you'll need: Borax, Super Washing Soda, Baking Soda, and Fels-Naptha.

First, grate the Fels-Naptha... it takes a while to do this.  I chose to grate mine on the fine side of the grater as I read on some reviews that it didn't dissolve well in some washers.  I figured the finer the better.

Notice, my lovely hand-model assistant (a.k.a. MOM).

Next, mix the Borax, Washing Soda, and Baking Soda together in a large bowl. Mom and I suggest chewing some gum and not breathing in as you do this--otherwise the phrase, "I'll wash out your mouth with soap", will take on a WHOLE NEW meaning!  ;-)


3 cups of Borax...


2 cups Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda...


2 cups Baking Soda....




Add the 2 cups grated Fels-Naptha....


Give it a good stir, and Vo-lah.... you have your own, homemade, natural laundry detergent.  ((applause please))  The best part is, it only takes 2-3 Tbls. per load.  If you want to go REALLY natural, you can use vinegar as a fabric softener... just put a little in your fabric softener dispenser...and no, it doesn't smell like vinegar.



I'll try and post the liquid laundry detergent as soon as possible... you know I have TONS of time with my 10 week old baby--who never wants to be put down! (haha).

Comments

Popular Posts