One Year Lessons



It dawned on me this morning as my two-year old began babbling in two languages at an un-godly hour, that today was the ninth of August.  What's significant about today?  I'll tell you what's so great about today (or really yesterday)!  Yesterday marks one year since we boarded an airplane leaving the United States and made the big move to Colombia, South America!  (You can read more about what led to our big move here and here.)

This morning I've been thinking back over the past year and it seems like this year has flown by and yet it feels as though this has been the slowest year of my life.  This year has changed me.  I am an entirely different person than I was a year ago boarding a plane with sweaty palms, tear-filled eyes, trembling lips, and expectations.  I've done things I never thought I would do or could do.  I have adapted and adjusted, sometimes willingly, sometimes by necessity, sometimes by force.  This year has been a year of change, stretching, and growth.  There have definitely been a fair share of growing pains.  But we've done it.  We've grown as individuals, as a couple, and as a family.

The most profound lessons I've learned in the past year, while they may not seem earth-shattering, have been life changing.

My one year lessons learned are as follows:

Your "roots" are far deeper than you ever knew.  While you have to adjust and adapt, you hold onto your roots tighter than ever.

My husband is a better, stronger, more patient man than I ever knew he was.  He has been my rock in so many ways.

My sweet baby is a strong, independent, flexible and accepting little girl.  She has not only adapted, she has flourished.

My family is important to me and I have a close family.  I never realized HOW close until we were actually separated by non-drivable distance.


The holidays and events that were "never a big deal to you" suddenly become the events that make you the most homesick.

Life back "home" goes on without you.  Not in a bad way.  It just does.


Being out of your comfort zone brings out your very worst at times.

Learning a new language is one of the most humbling, frustrating, and exhilarating experiences I've ever had.

Your old securities will fade away, but new ones are birthed.

While facebook, twitter, and other forms of social media are great for keeping in touch, they can also attribute to your feeling homesick, lonely, or left out.

Crying is okay, and sometimes necessary.

You find strengths you didn't know you had.  You will actually surprise yourself.

You'll wonder if people REALLY miss you or if you're out of sight, out of mind.

You will eventually get used to being stared at.  (Sorta.)

You will come face to face with some of your lesser traits and will deal with them.

It's okay to miss home.

You're more set in your ways than you thought you were.

You were materialistic, you just didn't realize it.

You will crave (miss) food you never really ate in the United States.

You will experience a supernatural peace and provision from God that will amaze you.

So, in capping off this past year, I want to express just how thankful I am for each and every one of you.  Your prayers, support, and love (along with God's grace and provision) have been the reason we've made it a year.  Even on my worst days here... my loneliest days, I've always know I wasn't alone.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart... for every prayer whispered on our behalf, every note of encouragement, every kind word, for every financial blessing.  I am eternally grateful to you and for you.  

Here's to great things in this next year.

XOXO,

Kristi



Comments

Popular Posts