Shut the Lions' Mouths!!



During my entire christian life, I have constantly asked God to "speak" to me. I eagerly wait for him to share something profound or earth-shattering with me and for the strangest reason, I always expect him to deliver these "messages" to me through fire in a bush or smoke signals in the sky.  You'd think by now I'd realize this isn't his typical method for communicating (at least with me).  But, it never ceases to surprise me when he uses an everyday, ordinary, and random moment to show me something or to speak something to my heart.  I guess it's true how well God knows us.  He knows this simple, country girl can't handle all the smoke and ashes!

This happened two nights ago when I was reading the story of "Daniel and the Lie-guns" to Isabella before bed (a.k.a Daniel and the Lion's Den).  I know I should correct her pronunciation, but it's just so stinking cute!  Anyways, as I was reading to her from her children's bible (complete with sound effects and all) I came to the part "...and the Lord sent an angel to shut the mouths of the lions and they did not harm him [Daniel]..."  Isabella smiled and clapped and we finished the story and called it a night.  But, this statement stuck with me and I just couldn't stop thinking about it.

This is the part where I reveal that I am a secret closet-nerd.  I love watching Animal Planet.  Except when an animal is getting hunted down and killed...I turn the channel or I'll cry, haha. (You can read about other things I love HERE.) I especially love watching documentaries about large animals, like lions.  I started thinking about a show I had seen a few weeks ago about these scientists who had been following a group of lions for months, documenting their hunting and eating habits.  I recalled a scene where this pride of lions were feasting on a kill after several days/weeks of not eating.  They were ravenous.  They were growling, hissing, spatting and fighting with each other, all while devouring the poor animal that lay on the ground.  Their massive teeth were tearing through the animal and crushing the meat and bone alike.  Blood covered their faces and pooled on the ground.  They were insatiable.  They couldn't be stopped.  They were hungry.

These last few months have presented the leadership with some challenges and issues within the school.  I had been feeling very discouraged and honestly felt like giving up.  Questioning God's purpose in my being here and in what it is that he's trying to do.   I felt like God spoke to me and told me, "Kristi, there are lions among you.  They are prowling around seeking and searching to devour, to destroy, and to attack the things that God has planned and put in to motion for this ministry.  There are people allowing their mouths to be used by the enemy to poison, taint, and cause conflicts, issues and disaccord among you.  They are hungry lions, once they've taken their first bite, they can't be stopped.  They'll stop until nothing is left."   I was sort of stunned.  This is EXACTLY what had been happening.  There have been days in the last few weeks where I've even wondered if the ministry would or could survive all the "bites" it had been receiving.  He continued, "If I shut the mouths of the lions and did not allow them to devour Daniel, what makes you think I can't do the same within the school?"  I stopped dead in my tracks and hung my head in shame, because I so easily forget that I serve an all-powerful God.  I serve a God that is in control of everything!  I needed to remember from where (and from whom) my help comes from!

 Tonight, as I finished my hour of prayer (as part of a 24-hour call to prayer that our church is doing today), I asked God to forgive me and to shut the lions' mouths!  I thanked him I don't have to fear the lion's mouth.  I thanked him in advance for shutting those mouths for me, my personal ministry, the ministry of the school, and the ministry of our church.  It's so nice to know that I don't have to worry about trying to stop those hungry lions... that I don't need to try and shut their mouths... God is taking care of things for me!

Daniel stuck out his neck for God--he actually got thrown into the den of lions for praying... but then God came through for Daniel.  He saved him from the lions.  I don't know what you're going through personally right now.  I don't know what hardships, conflicts, or issues you are facing.  I don't know what lions may be circling you with open, hungry mouths ready to destroy you... but I do know a God that CAN and WILL shut the mouths of your lions if you'll let him.


Comments

Popular Posts