Two Year's Lessons


It dawned on me yesterday, that in all the hustle and bustle of life, I'd forgotten a very important anniversary.  I had forgotten our two-year anniversary here in Colombia!  (And some of you were thinking what a terrible wife I was for forgetting my wedding anniversary, haha!)  Last year, on our one-year anniversary of being here in Barranquilla, Colombia I wrote a blog post that you can read here, reflecting on the past year.  It's hard to believe that it's been over two years since we sold everything we owned and boarded a plane headed to Colombia, South America.  Two years have stretched me, broken me, changed me and strengthened me.  My faith, focus and family have grown and I want to take just a moment today and celebrate having made it another year in Colombia.


This past year has taught me that while I can do things in my own strength for a while, there will come a point in which I no longer can.  Relying on God isn't just a cute idea presented in Sunday School.  It's a fundamental truth that is absolutely necessary in order to fulfill God's destiny for our lives.

I have learned that I cannot control everything.  I've learned that in reality, I control nothing.  But I know who controls everything and that gives me peace.

I've learned that marriage is a promise that is made over and over again, every single day.  It's choosing to love your spouse in spite of their bad days, bad habits, bad moods and bad moments.  It's them choosing to love you in spite of yours.  But in the midst of all the "hard stuff", it's an indescribeable blessing and it's worth all the work it requires.

I have learned that you have to find what works for your family and your children.  No matter what anyone else thinks.  I have learned that while there's no harm in reading books or surfing for strategies online, it's much more beneficial to look to God and the Bible for guidance in how to raise my kids.

I have learned that comparison is a trap of the enemy, designed to destroy contentment.  I am where I am because God wants me here.  Comparing myself to others only makes me unhappy.

I have learned that I can never outrun the "American Dream".  It still exists even here in Colombia.  The nicest house, the nicest car, the nicest clothes...they're still desired here and they're even harder to come by.  But I've also learned that the American Dream doesn't really matter, it ultimately focuses on things, which aren't what brings true happiness, contentment or peace.  I truly have all that REALLY matters.  I am loved, I am clothed, I am fed, I have shelter... and, I have Him!

I have learned (and am still learning) another language, another culture, and another way of living.  I'm not the same person I was two years ago.  I've learned that even in my lowest moments, my worst days, God is here with me.  He accepts me in all my imperfection and loves me in spite of them.

My prayer is that I (we) will accomplish that which the Lord has called us to accomplish.  I think the most important thing I have learned, and will continue to learn... is to trust.  I'm learning to follow Him blindly.  To hold fast to Him when the waves get choppy and I feel myself sinking.  I'm learning that my plans ultimately, don't really matter.  His do.

I said this last year, but I'm going to say it again... "Thus far the LORD has helped us"... and my prayer is that He will continue to help us (me) to follow Him and His purposes for our lives in this next year.


Comments

Popular Posts