That Second Baby Though....



Pre-children, I vividly remembering watching a stressed-out mom in a mall pick up her child's pacie from the floor.  With out a second thought, she put it into her own mouth to "clean it" and then popped it back into her screaming baby's mouth.  I was appalled.  How gross!  Her baby would now surely die from some disease it contracted from the food court floor.  I swore then and there that I'd NEVER do something like THAT when I had kids.  While I can honestly say I've never done that-yet... I have picked up a pacie from off the floor, squirted hand sanitizer on it or wiped it off with a wipe.

Gabriella Faith joined our family 15 months a little over a year ago.  (haha, I hate when people do that.  I just wanted to get on somebody's nerves.)  It's been interesting and comical to see how much Sergio and I have changed and relaxed as parents since baby number two made her appearance.

A couple months ago, about three months after Gabriella was born, Sergio and I were both sitting on our bed trying to catch up on emails and our oh-so-important-social-media-updates as our girls slept.  Isabella was actually napping for once (sadly to say she hasn't napped since) and of course Gabriella decided it would be just entirely too kind to sleep at the same time so that her parents could relax.  She start squirming and grunting in the pack & play beside our bed.  Sergio and I both pretended not to notice or to hear her.  (If you don't already know this, whenever you have a baby, you're supposed to pretend you're asleep or suddenly hearing impaired whenever the baby starts fussing or wakes up.  It's like playing chicken, only with a newborn.  The object being you're the last person to "pick up" the baby.  By playing deaf and dumb, your other half will hopefully feel sorry for the baby and get up and get her.)  Anyways, since we weren't attending to her needs quick enough, she suddenly flipped herself over from her belly to her back and lay there proudly blinking up at the ceiling.  Sergio and I turned and gave each other the oh-holy-crap look.  I sheepishly admitted that the other day she had rolled over three times, but that I had thought it only a fluke... an accident... but apparently our almost-three-month old could now roll over.  I remember asking Sergio, "Remember with Isabella how we tried so hard to get her to do everything so fast?  We encouraged her to sit up, to eat solids, to crawl, to walk??  Well, is it bad that I'm really enjoying this non-mobile stage?  It's so much easier."  Well, this of course, started a whole conversation about how differently we view things and think about things as parents of two.  I can only imagine what happens when you're a parent of 3+.

So, without further ado, introducing...

10 Things I said I'd never do as a parent:

10. I'll never lick my finger and clean my kid's dirty face like my mom used to do me.

9.  I'll never pick my kid's nose.

8.  In public, I'll never allow my kid's clothes, shoes, face, or hair to look dirty or in disorder of any type.  They'd be squeaky clean, clothes and hair in a state of perfection.  I just knew they'd look just like the babies in a Baby Gap Ad.

7. I'll never let me kids eat junk!  My babies would only eat organic, healthy baby food that I'd prepared.  Yeah...about that.  I'm pretty sure yesterday all Isabella ate ALL DAY LONG was macaroni and cheese and apples and Gabriella managed to get the fridge open and I caught her in the middle of the kitchen floor with an oreo stuffed in her mouth and another one in her hand.

6.  I'll never let my kids sleep in my bed.  Fast forward to today... I woke up with Isabella's foot up my rear...in my bed.

5.  I'll never yell, lose my cool, or "talk mean" to my kids.  So....Let's just pretend yesterday didn't happen please.

4.  I'll never let my kids watch TV or play on other electronic devices.  Let me just say, you have never experienced the sounds of heaven until after a long day of whining, screaming and fighting you hand your kid an ipad and headphones and let them watch marathons of Peppa Pig or Paw Patrol.  Pure bliss.  (If you leave a snarky comment about this one, I'll delete it! I believe everything in moderation and ANYthing that keeps mommy sane!)

3.  I'll never be the mother of the "Wal-Mart Brat".  We all know who I'm talking about here.  That one kid who pitches an academy award winning fit in the middle of the store.  There are no Wal-Marts here... but, there is an Exito and a Price Smart.  We may or may not have left a store recently because such a fit ensued.

2.  I'll never go out in public covered in pee, poop, or vomit.  Ha.  Ha Ha HA.  The parent manuals don't warn you that NO ONE leaves their house like so, the kids PLAN on letting one of these items erupt from their bodies when you're too far away from home to do anything about it.

But, perhaps the most shocking thing I said I'd NEVER do as a parent is...

1.  I said I'd never love another as much as I loved myself.  The moment my girls were laid on my chest and placed in my arms for the first time.  My world changed.  My heart now walks around on the outside.


Anything you said you'd never do as a parent?  Leave me a comment below.

Comments

Popular Posts