Empty Me




“I believe many a man is praying to God to fill him when he is full already with something else. Before we pray that God would fill us, I believe we ought to pray Him to empty us.” – D. L. Moody

How many of you can recall a recent holiday where you ate SO much that whenever it came time for dessert, although you really wanted some, you just couldn't eat it.  You were too full.  It's not a great feeling to have to do without what you really wanted all along, all because you didn't "leave room" or "make room" for it.  

Lately, I have begun to realize just how “full” I really am.  I find myself praying constantly to God, Lord fill me with more of you.  Help me to be full of your presence  Lord fill me with more of your holy spirit.   But I'm already too full.  I'm full of things that are unpleasing to Him.   I’m full of myself at times.  Other times I am full of selfishness or I'm full of pride.  Even more,  I’m full of my own ideas, plans, dreams. I dare to say at times, there is simply no room for God, nor His Holy Spirit.  

I’ve begun asking God the last few days, to empty me.  To empty me of myself.  To empty me of plans, my dreams, and my ideas.  I've asked him to drain me of my selfishness, those things that don’t please Him, those debilities that hinder me from accomplishing His will in my life.  I truly long to be full of His plans for my life, His dreams, His visions, His love, His strength, His peace.

I've been cutting out sodas the last few days and I had a horrible headache (nearly unbearable) for almost three days.  It hasn't been a pleasant experience.    The “withdrawal symptoms" brought out some unpleasant things in me-- irritability, lethargy, and an upset stomach.  As I feel God emptying me of those things that don't benefit me or help me, it's unpleasant.  It hurts and at times I question why I'm allowing him to.  But, in my heart of hearts, I yearn for God to remove those unnecessary things that fill every corner of my heart.   I truly aspire to become so full of God and “His things” that there’s no room for anything else.   The reality is, the things I often fill myself with (food, desserts, Facebook, friends, gossip, bad attitudes, resentfulness, anger, etc) don’t satisfy or truly fill me.  He is the only thing that can ever truly fill my heart and satisfy me.

What do you need God to empty you of?

Comments

Popular Posts