My Shepherd's Voice


Sergio and I recently completed the 21-Day Daniel's fast.  I must admit up until about three years ago I had never really fasted.  This fast has been one of the hardest things I have ever done, but it has also been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.  I wanted to share with you one of my devotionals during this fast, where I felt like God really spoke to me.  

I use the S.O.A.P. format for my devotionals, I came across this on Pinterest.   You can read more about it about here.  It's a simple, easy way for me to dig deeper into the word.  The "S" stands for the scripture you're reading.  I usually summarize what I'm reading in this part.  The "O" stands for observation.  I usually note things that I noticed or that stood out to me.  The "A" stands for apply.  This is where I write down how I think the particular scriptures apply to my life.  Finally, the "P" stands for prayer.  I simply write out a short prayer.

I wanted to share with you my devotional about the shepherd and his sheep.  It's nothing formal or fancy.  Just my random notes.  I'm thankful to know that I have a shepherd that KNOWS me and that I only need to listen to and follow his voice.

John 10:1-41
S
In these scriptures, Jesus was using a parable about sheep to teach the people.  He first talked about the difference between the shepherd and the thief.  Thieves are the ones that climb over the fence, they enter with out permission.  They come to hurt, take, and destroy.  The shepherd however, is the one that enters through the gate.  He enters with permission, the correct way, to care for his sheep.    Jesus compared himself to the gate saying that all must enter through Him.  He shared that   sheep know their master’s (or shepherd's) by their voice.  They know him, so they follow him.   However, if they do not recognize the voice or if someone tries to enter their pen who is not their master, they will run and try to hide from him.  The job of the shepherd is to protect the sheep, lay down his life, at times, for them.  The Lord knows His sheep and His sheep know Him.  They follow him. (John 10:27)

O
I noticed that these scriptures mentioned two types of people, the people that might be found taking care of sheep, such as a hired man and the shepherd.  The hired man doesn't know nor does he love his sheep.  He has no ownership.  For that reason, tat the sight or sound of trouble, he would flee leaving the sheep behind.  The shepherd however is willing to lay down his life for his sheep.  Jesus was/is our shepherd and he laid down his life for us.  HE knows his sheep by name and that they know him.  He has ownership in us, he knows us and he loves us.  He sees us as important enough to lay his life down for and he knows us personally.  He knows us on a first-name basis.  He’s intimate with us and he longs for us to simply follow his voice.

A
The Lord is THE shepherd that laid down his life for us.  He died on a cross for us.  He provides each and every one of us with boundaries (a fence or pen) that he sets up to protect and keep us.  He doesn’t force us into this pen, but rather tries to lead us there.  The fence (or pen) isn’t a prison for us--it’s actually freedom.  When we are in the “pen” or "fence" of God, we are free to be, we are free from worry of those things that lurk in the night; we are free to do the things we’ve been called to do.   We are free because we are safe within his boundaries.  He is our shepherd and he is calling us daily.  We must learn and know his voice so that we are able to tell when thieves or imposters come and try to mimic him.  We need to know Him and His voice so well, that whenever anyone else calls or beckons us, we know to run and hide.   We must know His voice so that we can follow him…so that He can lead us.  We must have confidence and trust in Him, that He will do as He says He will, that He will lead us to still waters and green pastures.  Because He is the good shepherd who loves His sheep. 

P
Lord,
Help me to know your voice.  Help to hear your voice and to follow it.  Help me to know your voice above all other voices.  Let your voice be the loudest one I hear.  Let it drown out all the other voices that try to fill my mind and heart.  Let me hear your voice loud and clear and let me do what it tells me to do.  Help me to not only know you, but to follow you without question.  Let me take you at your word, that you are leading me to still, calm, cool waters and green, lustrous pastures.  Let me rest in peace in your arms, my shepherd, let my freedom be found in the boundaries you place around me for safety.  Let me desire to be with you at all times, do not let the “grass that appears greener” to tempt me away from you.  Let me know you, see you, and trust you as MY good shepherd.
Amen 

Comments

Popular Posts