So-Called Sacrifice

Disclaimer: This post is just me sharing my personal thoughts, experiences, and at times...prayers.  I am not asking for pity, nor am I attempting to portray myself as a martyr.  I know there are people all over the world that are truly experiencing sacrifice and loss.  The things I have given up or have "sacrificed" pale in the light of their true sacrifices. Please understand my heart in any and ALL of my posts... I'm no Bible scholar or preacher... just a girl that asks God to reveal things to me and to teach me through His Word.  I share with you all in hopes that maybe it can be an encouragement to you or to challenge you as it challenged me. 

This verse struck a nerve with me this morning when I read it.  While the verse contains SO much depth, I wanted to share the bits and pieces that stuck out in particular to me.   

Philippians 3:8-9 NIV
What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in[a] Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 

Verse 8 really stood out to me because Paul states that he considers NOTHING as important as knowing Jesus as his Lord.  All of the things he has sacrificed, left behind, and abandoned, he no longer sees worth or value in them.  In fact, he considers them garbage!  He considers gaining Christ and finding himself in Christ worth giving up, leaving behind, or losing all of those things.  Just the other day I found myself thinking about the things that God has asked me to sacrifice, give up, sell, walk away from, or abandon and I can't say my attitude was (or is always) the same as Paul's.  (You can read about my reflection on giving things up and my so called "sacrifices" here.)  

During these past fifteen months, I have found myself on several occasions losing focus.  Instead of focusing on our calling here, the ministry, or the many blessings I've been given, I have found myself ONLY focusing on the things that I have left behind, lost, or given up.  One thing I know is that following Jesus is never easy.  I can promise you that whether you are a "plain ol' christian" or a missionary in a jungle somewhere, you will have to give up some things.  You will have to leave some people behind.  You will be asked to lay some things aside.  

Humans are naturally selfish.  Focusing our eyes on ANYone or ANYthing else doesn't come naturally to us.  It is so easy to throw yourself a pity-party on focus only on the things that following God "costs" you. Without even knowing it, your eyes begin to slowly slip off of Jesus and back onto yourself and your situations.  Paul didn't view his "losses" as a "cost".  I think he viewed them as "chump change" in comparison to what he received in return.  He actually called them garbage.  Wow!  To have that type of attitude!

I took some time this morning to ask God to forgive me.  I took some time to refocus my eyes and ask God to help me keep my eyes on Him, not on myself or my circumstances.  I asked Him to help me have the same attitude as Paul.  I asked Him to help me no no longer focus on my "losses" or my "sacrifices", but to focus my eyes on the many gains that I'm receiving in exchange.  I also asked that He would reveal to me the value of the riches I've traded my garbage in for.  After my prayer, I felt like God brought to my remembrance the following verses:

Hebrews 12: 1-2 (NIV) "...since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

I'm learning that focusing our eyes on Jesus isn't a one time thing.  It's an every. single. day. deal.  You may need to refocus your eyes several times a day or several times an hour even.  So, this girl is tightening up her running shoes and adjusting my eye wear.  My eyes are going to focused on Jesus today and I'm going to keep running the race that God has called me to.  I'm going to count my blessings and focus on the wonderful fact that I have Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.  There is no "sacrifice" that isn't worth that.

Comments

Popular Posts