21 Things I've Learned in Colombia (I'm Not in Kansas Anymore!)


Colombia, South America is different from the United States (insert shocked gasp here)!  I've been here for about 6 months total (minus our extended stay in the U.S. during Christmas Vacation) and I've learned a few things.  I've been a slacker in the blogging world for the last few four months and so to break my blogging silence, I've decided to try out a different format for this blog.  Instead of some deep, intellectual, spiritual post, this one is going to be fun and light-hearted.

21 Things I've Learned in Colombia:


1. People here are crazy drivers!  Stop signs, stop lights, and designated lanes are optional.  (This is why I'm scared to drive at the moment.)

2. People here in the coast talk very, very, fast.

3. It's better to pay with exact change because there's a good possibility they won't have change.

4. Malls are places you go to be in the air conditioning and eat, not to shop.

5. Music is life.

6. You can't flush toilet paper here, you have to put it in a trashcan.  (Just ask me what happens if you do.)

7. Taxi drivers and buses rule the road.

8. Don't use the words miserable or stupid in Spanish.

9. Air conditioning is a sweet, precious, gift from God.  One that I'll never take for granted again.

10. When in doubt, order chicken.

11. If you're trying to avoid (non-bottled) water--don't order ice.  (duh!)

12.  The people here are friendly and personable.

13.  I now know what hot and humid truly mean.

14.  Hot water in your shower doesn't happen here.

15. You eat healthier here.  It is possible to cook with only meat, vegetables and dry goods in your house.  And as a result you feel better not eating the packaged, processed foods.

16. Heat and humidity forces you to suck it up and overcome body-image issues.  You can't "cover up" or you'll die of heatstroke.

17.  Mosquitos like white skin and they will. find. you.

18. People are happier with less.

19. Distance makes the heart grow fonder.  You value and cherish time with family afar.

20. Carry toilet paper with you AT ALL TIMES... you never know when or where you might need it.

21. God is my source of strength and my provision.  He doesn't disappoint.  When we are obedient to His calling, He will honor that.

Comments

Popular Posts