There are no happy endings

 "There are no happy endings.

Endings are the saddest part, 

So just give me a happy middle

And a very happy start." 



Years ago I might have felt a different kind of way, but as things currently stand, I've had a lot more sad endings than happy ones.

Many, many see you laters.

And one great, big goodbye.

I don't recall ever looking forward to the ending of something, not movies, not books, not visits.  I always dread the endings of good things. I anticipate the beginnings: new jobs, new babies, new habits and new places to visit.

But the end is always so definite, so sad, so final.  

There's no coming back from the end.  After the end, you have no choice but to start back over.

I have been forced to focus on the middle--because it's the only place where happiness is guaranteed. 

It's funny how decisions can affect so profoundly all you are.  Because when you make a decision, you're only thinking of the excitement of the beginning, never the pain or sadness of the end.

Sometimes, you face things that you had no choice in.  They taint your life for all eternity.  And even though there are fleeting happy beginnings and middles, knowing you're missing always makes for a sad ending.



Comments

Popular Posts