If I Could Only Touch the Hem of His Garment


Matthew 91-37

I always imagine a large crowd of people surrounding Jesus and His disciples.  It's hot and humid and the body heat is unbearable.  A woman slowly pushes her way through the throng of people receiving grunts, dirty looks, elbows, and murmurs of her "skipping in line".  Despite the fact she feels faint and weak, she ignores all of this and pushes on.  Just as she reaches the place where Jesus is she sees that he and his disciples are leaving--to go and heal a ruler's daughter.  She thinks to herself, this could be my last chance.  If I only touch his cloak, I will be healed.  Just as Jesus turns to go, she reaches out and touches the hem of his garment.  As she turned to slink back into the crowds, Jesus turned and saw her--he speaks directly to her.  He says, "Take heart, daughter.  Your faith has healed you."  From that very moment she senses a change in her body, her mind, and her spirit.  He has acknowledged her, called her daughter, and healed her.  Wow!

Sometimes I find myself lately feeling somewhat like this woman.  Pushing through the crowds and distractions of life, trying to make my way to Jesus.  I too receive the discouraging looks and comments, the elbows and the unwillingness of some people to step out of the way and let me through!  I give this woman props, she didn't let anyone or anything keep her from getting to Jesus.  I mean here was a woman who had been bleeding for over 12 years--without stopping.  In Mark chapter 5: 24-34, the woman is described as having been subject to bleeding for twelve years and having been suffering under the care of many doctors.  She spent all she had, yet she continued to grow worse.  Her condition deteriorating.  Her future hopeless.  This woman who was most likely ostracized from her family and community for being "unclean" and who had spent every dime she had going to physician after physician to no avail.  Jesus was her last resort--yet she knew in her heart that she needn't speak to him or even have him speak to her--she just needed to reach him--just to touch the hem of his robe.  I cannot say that I have been as diligent or as determined as she was.  I have allowed those people in my way--the ones with dirty looks and comments about my trying to get to Jesus stop me in my path to Him.  Another thought, she touched the hem of his cloak... the bottom of his garment.  The part that was dirty from dragging in the dirt and the dust.  She had to be on her hands and knees, maybe crawling through the crowds to reach him.  She humbled herself in everyway... and for what?  Just to touch him.

Lately, I have desired to touch Jesus.  I miss his presence and the move of his spirit in my life and within the church.  I know in my heart that all I need to do is just to touch--brush my fingertips over the hem of his garment and that would be enough... but... am I willing to crawl, to push through all other people and things, to have my eyes, heart, and mind completely focused on my goal of getting to him no matter the cost?  Just like this woman, she tried every other option first--her last resort (and best resort) was Jesus.  


Comments

  1. Thanks Kristo for being honest and transparent. Keep writing....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts